By Euro Weekly News Media •
Published: 21 Apr 2011 • 10:48
ALL the sand that had been brought to Ferrara Beach in Torrox to prepare it for Easter was washed away by a storm last Friday night. The spokesman for the Torrox Beaches Defense Group, Rafael Lopez, said that the lorries were working bringing sand to the beach until Friday afternoon and by Saturday morning, it was all gone again due to storms and wind during the night.
The group can’t understand why the coastal department insists on spending huge amounts of money (some €14m over 20 years) to bring lorry-loads of sand to the beaches, when it only last a few days, instead of carrying out proper measures to prevent this problem once and for all.
Lopez complained that since the seafront promenade was finished in 1991, nothing has been done to prevent this problem, such as creating breakwaters and instead “lorry-loads of money are being dumped in the sea”.
The Minister for the Environment, Rosa Aguilar, has said that she is aware of the problem, but locals want immediate action so they don’t lose the tourism trade.
By Jennifer Leighfield
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don't already have one. Review our
Share your story with us by emailing email@example.com, by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.