New laws could affect you

ALL dogs irrespective of breed or age need a Dog License which is free from the local Ayuntamiento.

Without a registration the fines are extremely heavy.
Spain has announced new laws No 50/99 which could affect you.  A list of dogs considered dangerous has been drawn up as follows:-

Pit Bull and all Bull breeds
All Mastiffs
Canary Island Prey Dog
Caucasian Shepherd
Brazilian Fila
Corsican Can
German Shepherds.

Most dogs over 25 Kilos are included on the list.  For more information ask at your local town hall.

The new decree prohibits the training of dogs to attack, or to guard or defend their owners or to give them any sort of training that might increase their aggressiveness.  Fines vary from €2,400 to €15,025 Euros.  Dogs are banned from areas where children play.  A lost dog must be reported to the Police immediately. Dangerous dogs must be muzzled in public and on a short (one metre) lead.
All dogs that have any record of aggression or any dog that shows aggressive behaviour or any dog considered by the authorities to be dangerous, must now be registered and in possession of a special Licencia Municipal.

Spain is a federal country and has 17 different Comunidades or regions with their own parliament, government and laws.  A law in one Comunidad could be different from a similar law in another, therefore I strongly urge you to check with your local municipality.
In Valencia, Madrid, Barcelona and other large cities a list has been made of dogs which could potentially be dangerous, and of the Rottie, Doberman, Pit Bull Terrier, Dogo Argentino, Akita Dogo de Burdeos, Staffordshire, Presa Canaria, Fila Brasilero, are on the list, and also their crossbreeds.

Even if your dog is not one of those listed breeds, but has bitten a person in the past, it will be classified as if it was on the list.

If you want to own a dog which is on the dangerous list, you have to go and see a psychologist and do a test on a computer (not difficult) just the same as for driving a car.  It costs between €60 and €72.
If you are a Spanish resident you will have to apply for a document from the Ministry for the Interior, confirming that you do not have a criminal record.  If you are not a resident in Spain, you have to apply for such a document in your country of origin and have it translated into Spanish.  Take the originals with you to your local town hall

FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppTelegramLinkedInEmailCopy Link
Go Back
Written by

Euro Weekly News Media

Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page


    • Jim Graham

      21 April 2014 • 12:42

      I live in a community in Alicante where 2 “aggressive” dogs have recently moved in. They snarl thro’ the gate bars at anyone who passes to the extent that residents are frightened of the consequences shouild they “escape”.
      The owner has been given a copy of the community and Town Hall regulations and been advised of the action necessary to resolve the issues.
      In the event these are not complied with what action may be taken by the Community.

      Many tx.

    • colin michael

      22 September 2015 • 08:06

      where can i get info on noisy dogs , and who can i report to. can i get a copy of david the dogmans item thanks cm


    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published.