Red tape for dangerous dogs

IF you want to walk your potentially dangerous dog without a muzzle, you and your dog will have to pass a test with a vet.

The vet will ask a lot of questions and handle the dog himself because he has to confirm that the dog will be under your control in all circumstances and it will not react in an aggressive way if approached by a stranger.

This test is valid for one year and costs €48. This certification that you can control your dog must be taken to the town hall.
To register your potentially dangerous dog, as required b y law, you must take the following documents and your passport or residency permit to the town hall:

A copy of your insurance policy.  Pet owners are must have public liability insurance of at least €120,000 for their dogs.

Two pictures of yourself and your dog.

A form confirming that the dog has a micro chip for personal identification implanted underneath its skin

The booklet given to you by your vet confirming that the animal’s vaccinations are up to date.

At the town hall applicants will have to fill in two forms.

The first one is to confirm that you want to have a permit for a potentially dangerous dog; the second one is to put your dog on the municipal register.

On this form you will have to state the reason you want the animal.  For example; as a guard dog, a dog for personal defense or protection or any other reason.  It also asks if the dog has been trained, where it has been trained and by whom.
The permit for a potentially dangerous dog is valid for three years.

I strongly recommend you ask your local town hall or your vet about all the procedures necessary as they can vary from region to region. 

FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppTelegramLinkedInEmailCopy Link
Go Back
Written by

Euro Weekly News Media

Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page


    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *