By Euro Weekly News Media • 03 May 2013 • 14:47
A JUDGE is investigating where €300,000 of taxpayers’ money got to. The cash is alleged to have disappeared from a government bank account. The allegations relate to an account held by the Almeria Delegation for the Environment between March 2009 and November last year.
The current head of the group, Jose Manuel Ortiz Bono, has placed the facts before the head of the magistrate’s court, Judge Alejandra Dodero, who will determine if there have been accounting regularities.
The investigation is centred on the BBVA bank which collects citizens’ taxes on behalf of the government. Of the taxes paid 85 per cent goes to the City Council and the remaining 15 per cent is paid to the Delegation currently under investigation.
According to inspectors up to €45,000 per week was withdrawn from the account using bearer cheques, and the instigator of the alleged crime must have accounting knowledge and a means of knowing how the system works.
Clemente Garcia, who was the head of the delegation until May 2010, has been called to testify at the hearing to be held next month. She commented: “I know absolutely nothing about this matter.
“I am the first one to be interested in an investigation, and need clarification of what happened over the period that I was responsible.”
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.