By Euro Weekly News Media • 13 September 2013 • 10:53
VEGA BAJA rubbish will go to landfills in Jijona and Villena.
The Vega Baja towns in southern Alicante generate 270,000 tonnes of refuse each year.
An annual 70,000 tonnes will now go to Jijona and 60,000 tonnes to Villena until the Albatera site is ready in two years’ time.
The remainder will be treated in Crevillente, Alicante and Elche.
Neither of the towns’ mayors back the move but they are outvoted on the two consortiums of local towns to which they belong.
The regional government and Alicante’s Diputacion (provincial government) control 40 per cent of consortium votes. The remaining 60 per cent are in the hands of the towns involved, most of which back the plans.
Although this solves the Vega Baja’s problems it increases them in the south of Valencia province. Towns there await completion of another landfill site at Llanera de Ranes (Valencia) and their councils want to know where their own 140,000 tonnes of rubbish will be sent if Alicante, which has treated it until now, takes on the Vega Baja refuse.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.