Puppy dies from nicotine in e-cigarette filler

IVY, STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER PUPPY; Killed by e-cigarette nicotine

A puppy in the UK has died from nicotine poisoning after she chewed a bottle of e-cigarette filler.

Ivy, a 14 week old black Staffordshire Bull Terrier, bit through the bottle of liquid, which is laced with nicotine, and punctured the bottle. She only consumed a tiny amount, but sadly died within a few hours.

The first signs of illness were frothing at the mouth and vomiting, at which point the dog’s owner rushed Ivy to the vet who treated her with large doses of steroids, however the puppy died the next day when her lungs and heart gave up the battle.

Nicotine is poisonous to animals

E-liquid contains nicotine in varying amounts, depending largely on the brand, and other chemicals such as propylene glycol and polyethylene glycol, vegetable glycerine and flavourings.

Nicotine is poisonous to dogs and cats; signs include vomiting, diarrhoea, abnormal heart rate, lack of co-ordination, tremors, weakness and collapse.  Owners should seek immediate attention from their vet if they see any sign that their pet may have been poisoned.

Author badge placeholder
Written by

Euro Weekly News Media

Share your story with us by emailing newsdesk@euroweeklynews.com, by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews


    • Sandra Rowntree

      19 February 2014 • 10:05

      And still there are so many irresponsible pet owners who do not take appropriate steps to keep their pets safe, even in the home.

    • keith sutton

      19 February 2014 • 11:30

      and you know me do you, you KNOW the full story, the lead up to my tragic loss? dont comment on what you dont know

    • SGEEKS

      23 February 2014 • 16:53

      you adnmitted that you were unsure if it was the ejuice, you admitted the vet was only speculating. where is the toxicology report?

    Comments are closed.