Spanish arms sales to Israel paralysed

THE Spanish government has paralysed the exportation of arms to Israel.

Arms sales and their conditions, which have stopped since the beginning of August, are to be examined again in September.

The current ban does not affect any deals made up to the time the ban came into effect.

The decision to ban sales came as a result of a government ministerial meeting, in which the Israel / Gaza situation was discussed, and was reached by the consensus of the majority of ministers. The meeting took into consideration the death of almost 1,800 Palestinian citizens, many of them children, and the evidently superior firepower of the Israeli side.

In 2013 Spain sold almost €4.9 million’s worth of arms to Israel which is around 87 per cent more than in 2012 and the biggest sale in the last five years. The sales consisted mainly of bombs, bullets, rockets, torpedoes, missiles, grenades and demolition charges but also included military vehicles like tanks and the controlling software for the missiles.

According to data released by the government, Israel was the main buyer of Spanish arms taking around 99 per cent of the whole with the other 1 per cent going to the private sector.

FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppTelegramLinkedInEmailCopy Link
Go Back
Written by

Euro Weekly News Media

Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews

Comments


    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published.