By John Smith • 03 January 2016 • 9:55
Police and Fire Brigade archive photo
SHORTLY after 10.30pm on Saturday January 2, the emergency services received a report that there was a massive gas leak in Penge in south London and all three services plus representatives of the Red Cross attended immediately.
Due to the potential threats to health and safety, nearly 500 people were evacuated to reception centres in the area and roads in the vicinity were closed whilst work was undertaken to fix the leak.
By 5am on Sunday morning the situation was resolved and residents who had not been taken to hotels were allowed back to their homes.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Married to Ophelia in Gibraltar in 1978, John has spent much of his life travelling on security print and minting business and visited every continent except Antarctica.
Having retired several years ago, the couple moved to their house in Estepona and John became a regular news writer for the EWN Media Group taking particular interest in Finance, Gibraltar and Costa del Sol Social Scene.
Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.