First Occupation Licence?

DAVID SEARL: You and the Law in Spain


TO register your property for short-term holiday lets under the new Andalucian law, the form to get the licence requires a copy of the First Occupation Licence. I have owned my home for 20 years and I cannot find this licence.

I believe it was issued by the town hall to the builder or developer so he could sell the property. Without it I understand services cannot be connected. Do subsequent purchasers of the property need it?

RP (Costa del Sol)


Properly, yes, the First Occupation Certificate should be available on subsequent sales of the property.

Some municipalities have a Second Occupation Certificate to replace it. However, thousands of long-term Andalucian property owners are in the same situation that you are, without the certificate.

Your solution is to go to your town hall and request a copy of the certificate they originally issued, or a document which can replace it. Different town halls handle it differently, but this is the place to start.

Send your questions for David Searl through lawyers Ubeda-Retana and Associates in Fuengirola at [email protected], or call 952 667 090.

FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppTelegramLinkedInEmailCopy Link
Go Back
Written by

David Searl

You and the law in spain Send your questions for David Searl through lawyers Ubeda-Retana and Associates in Fuengirola at [email protected], or call 952 667 090.


    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published.