By Euro Weekly News Media • 27 December 2016 • 10:58
THREE men who worked as seasonal olive pickers have died in a garage fire in the area of Rus, Jaen.
The men were given the use of the garage as temporary accommodation during the picking season by their employer, and were said to be well known in the community.
According to preliminary reports, the fire in the early hours of Monday morning was caused by a faulty electric heater.
Jaen council reports the men, who were African and between the ages of 30 and 40, tried to alert their neighbours and call for help, but the garage could only be opened from the inside and they were unable to do so.
Four firemen were needed to put out the blaze but unfortunately the trapped men could not be saved.
The cause of death is believed to be smoke inhalation.
The number of people who have died this year in work related accidents in Andalucia is more the 90 – the highest in the country and already more than last year´s figure of 75 – causing unions across Andalucia to call for improved safety measures to protect workers.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you donâ€™t already have one. Review our
Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.