By Linda Hall • 11 December 2018 • 16:07
BLAZE: The temperature reached 1,100 degrees in the dining room and 750 degrees in the passage and kitchen (FILE IMAGE).
TWO people died in a devastating fire at their home in San Juan last weekend.
The victims were an Italian couple in their 70s and the causes of the blaze that broke out on the ground floor of their two-storey house in Carrer del Mar are still under investigation.
According to the Consortium of Provincial Fire Brigades, the situation was “very complicated”, with a temperature that reached 1,100 degrees in the dining room and 750 degrees in the passage and kitchen.
Despite the suffocating heat, firefighters from the San Vicente brigades were able to rescue the bodies of the two elderly victims who were already deceased.
Had the house been fitted with plastic window blinds these would have melted, the firemen explained afterwards.
Instead, the blinds were made of metal, producing temperatures that were higher than would be normal for a house fire, complicating the firefighters’ already difficult task.
The fire, which began at 6.25am, was finally extinguished at approximately 8.15am.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Originally from the UK, Linda is based in Valenca and is a reporter for The Euro Weekly News covering local news. Got a news story you want to share?
Then get in touch at [email protected]
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Downlaod our media pack in either English or Spanish.