Can they renew their residence?

DAVID SEARL: Can they renew their residence? Photo: Shutterstock

Some years ago my wife and I went to Alicante and applied for the old style ID card “residencia”. This was only valid for five years and we let it lapse. We never applied for the EU citizen paper certificate. Now we have decided to stay, so we need to renew. Can we just swap the old card for the new paper type or do we need to go through the whole process again?
C.A. (Costa Blanca)
Yes, you will have to go through the entire process, and this time it will be more complicated. Even though Brexit looms at the end of March 2019, you can still apply as an EU citizen if you act promptly. You will need to show proof of income and entitlement to UK social security medical care, which you then change to Spain. If you are UK pensioners this should cover your requirements. You usually make an appointment to do this with the National Police website. You should probably exchange your UK driving licence for a Spanish one while you can still do it easily.
Send your questions for David Searl through lawyers Ubeda-Retana and Associates in Fuengirola at [email protected], or call 952 667 090.

FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppTelegramLinkedInEmailCopy Link
Go Back
Written by

David Searl

You and the law in spain Send your questions for David Searl through lawyers Ubeda-Retana and Associates in Fuengirola at [email protected], or call 952 667 090.