By Euro Weekly News Media • 02 January 2019 • 15:40
Earthquake of magnitude 4.4 felt on the Costa del Sol. Image: National Geographic Institute (IGN)
DOCTORS have urged parents to cut grapes in half before giving them to children after a toddler choked to death while seeing in the New Year in the traditional Spanish way of eating a fruit for each stroke of midnight.
The three-year-old, whose family are believed to be migrants from Ecuador, was rushed to a hospital in Gijon, on the Bay of Biscay, where doctors tried unsuccessfully for an hour to revive him.
Health professionals claim that eating grapes poses a choking hazard for young children as the smooth surface of the fruit can form a ‘seal’ that prevents air from getting in. Their advice is to cut the fruit in half.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.