NO-DEAL: Brits face driving licence changes and potential fees in no deal Brexit

BRITISH expatriate drivers living in Spain and elsewhere in the EU may need to get an additional permit to continue driving and could face additional costs in a no-deal Brexit. 

Britain’s Department for Transport said drivers may have to pass tests in EU countries in which they live to carry on using roads legally.

Expatriates may also have to apply for an International Driving Permit in the event that Britain leaves the EU without a deal on Friday March 29, the government department added. Extra documentation will be needed regardless of whether Brexit takes place with or without a deal, transport officials said.

“Drivers from Britain will need extra documentation to drive in the EU and EEA after Britain leaves the EU. 

“This includes registering certain trailers with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and carrying a trailer registration certificate.” 

International Driving Permits cost around €6.30 and are available at British Post Offices.

In Spain, if the driver is able to pass first time on both practical and theory tests, it could cost them around €800. If more lessons are needed and tests need to be retaken, costs can rise as high as €1,500.

Author badge placeholder
Written by

Euro Weekly News Media

Share your story with us by emailing, by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page