By Tara Rippin • 31 March 2019 • 17:16
Saudi businessman collapses and reportedly dies while giving speech in Cairo. Image: Abdullah Elshrif/Twitter
A BREAK-IN at the North Korean embassy in Madrid last month, during which employees were reportedly held hostage and robbed, was “a grave terrorist attack” a representative from North Korea’s foreign ministry said today (Sunday) in its first official comment on the incident.
The representative also called for an investigation and said North Korea was closely monitoring speculation the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and an anti-North Korea group were behind the raid on February 22.
However, North Korea refused to blame Washington directly and urged Spanish authorities to conduct the investigation in a responsible manner.
The North’s state-run KCNA news agency quoted the representative as saying that “we will wait for the result in patience”.
During the assault on the embassy, an armed group pf 10 suspects allegedly bound, beat and tortured staff members and stole mobile phones, pen drives, computers and hard drives.
International arrest warrants have been issued for a number of suspects.
According to international press reports, a “mysterious organisation” that describes itself as a dissident group dedicated to toppling North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un’s regime in Pyongyang has since claimed responsibility.
The group, known as Cheollima Civil Defence or Free Joseon, reportedly claimed on its website that its action at the embassy had not been “an attack,” that no one had been beaten and that no weapons had been used.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Tara Rippin is a reporter for Spain’s largest English-speaking newspaper, Euro Weekly News, and is responsible for the Costa Blanca region.
She has been in journalism for more than 20 years, having worked for local newspapers in the Midlands, UK, before relocating to Spain in 1990.
Since arriving, the mother-of-one has made her home on the Costa Blanca, while spending 18 months at the EWN head office in Fuengirola on the Costa del Sol.
She loves being part of a community that has a wonderful expat and Spanish mix, and strives to bring the latest and most relevant news to EWN’s loyal and valued readers.
Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.