GAS LEAK: Compensation for family of man who died at hotel in Spain

TRAGIC ACCIDENT: Jose Manuel died from carbon monoxide poisoning at a hotel (pictured) in Cantabria. Credit: Google Maps

THE family of a man who died following a gas leak at a Spanish hotel have received €320,000 compensation.

The 62-year-old victim from La Cala del Moral had been on a group holiday in Cantabria with a pensioners’ association when 21 people were affected by carbon monoxide poisoning at a hotel.

Jose Manuel was on an annual tour with the group, visiting Madrid, Bilbao, San Sebastian, Guernica, and Bermeo. On the fourth day of the trip, the group toured Santander before spending the night at the Campomar de Isla hotel in Cantabria.

The victim and his wife went to sleep in their hotel room unaware carbon monoxide caused by a faulty boiler was entering their bathroom. 

The couple’s room was the most affected by the leak. At breakfast the next morning, other members of the group raised the alarm after noticing the couple were missing.  Jose Manuel was later found in his room in cardiorespiratory arrest.

Health workers were able to resuscitate him before he was transferred to the Valdecilla Hospital. 

Doctors said nothing more could be done to save Jose Manuel, however, and life support was withdrawn.

The majority of the total 92 people affected by the carbon monoxide poisoning, including Jose Manuel’s travelling companions, suffered less serious health consequences, although several were treated in Intensive Care.

A law firm representing seven people from Malaga affected in the incident, as well as the relatives of Jose Manuel, has announced the hotel’s insurer has agreed to compensate the victims.  In addition to the €320,000 received by Jose Manuel’s family, other victims received €100,000.

FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppTelegramLinkedInEmailCopy Link
Go Back
Written by

Euro Weekly News Media

Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page