By James Warren • 08 June 2019 • 15:00
Photo of the town of Enix in Almeria.
Credit: Google maps - Juan Mena.
An annual study conducted by the General Council of Official Associations of Pharmacies (CGCOF) shows that Spain has now surpassed Germany and France as having the largest independent network of Pharmacies in Europe.
At the end of 2018 when the report took place, a total of 22,071 establishments were recorded in the ‘Annual Report of Collegiate and Pharmacies’.
The figure showed a slight rise in previous years, with 50 new pharmacies opening whilst 26 closed. The demographic of the locations show that 35.7% of the sites are located in provincial capitals whilst the remaining 64.3% are situated in municipalities.
Each pharmacy on average has a client base of 2,117 customers which places Spain with one of the best ratios of clients per location in Europe.
In total in the country, there are 74,043 registered pharmacists of which 71.6% are female and 45.5% are under the age of 44. Out of the total number of pharmacists registered with the CGCOF, only 59,659 are active and working, with 51,959 (87.1%) working in community pharmacies.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Downlaod our media pack in either English or Spanish.