A  pensioner had a stroke of luck who just  escaped being struck by a car which crashed through his living room because he had popped to the loo for a wee!

Stan Miller, 75, was writing his Christmas cards to his family and friends before he got the call of nature and went popped to the loo at his bungalow in Cambridge.

Literally as he answered his call to nature – a Vauxhall Corsa came crashing through his bungalow’s wall and window causing huge damage to his home as a suspected drunk driver and his car came crashing through.

A 32-year-old man has since been detained on suspicion of drink driving and builders are trying to establish whether Mr Miller’s home is structurally sound to still live in.

The pensioners daughter, Denise Flood, 41, said “If he hadn’t have moved the wall and window would have just landed on top of him -the front end of the car is sat in the middle of the room.”

Stan told his daughter he’d heard a huge crash as he had just reached the loo and noticed that the loft had “popped” due to the pressure caused.

Mrs Flood said: “I’m just really glad he’s ok.

“It’s the sort of thing you see on the telly but you don’t expect it to happen to your own family. A neighbour called me from dad’s phone to say what had happened.

“Luckily I only live up the road so I was here within seconds. We all live close by so he’s got plenty of places to stay.

“He’s a very private man and hates that we’re all worrying about him.”

The driver did a runner up the street but shocked neighbours ran after and tackled him as police arrived who then arrested the suspected drink driver and took him in to custody.

Cambridge police have released a statement – “Officers were called to Northfields Avenue, Cambridge at about 9.15pm last night with reports a black Vauxhall Corsa had crashed into the side of a bungalow.

“The driver, a 32-year-old man from Cambridge remains in custody at Parkside Police Station on suspicion of drink driving.

“The black Vauxhall Corsa remains at the scene while structural engineers decide whether the property is safe.”