By Cathy Elelman • 22 November 2019 • 15:00
OJBECTIVE: The course was aimed at improving students’ chances of finding work in environment-related sectors.
CREDIT: Ayuntamiento de Huercal-Overa
THE presentation of diplomas to participants in a green space management training project brought to a close a series of environment-related courses for the unemployed in Huercal-Overa and Puerto Lumbreras.
The 12 courses ran from April to November, subjects ranging from advanced organic agriculture to the use of drones in the farming sector. Of the 190 students who took part in the initiatives, more than 20 have now got jobs.
Huercal-Overa Mayor Francisca Lourdes Fernandez and Puerto Lumbreras Mayor Maria Ángeles Tunez did the honours of presenting the Eco-Green students with their recognitions.
Their course covered work on parks, gardens and rural areas used for agricultural and for tourism, the aim to improve participants’ skills and improve their employment opportunities in environment-related sectors.
The project was 80 per cent financed by a subsidy from the Biodiversity Foundation, which comes under the Ecological Transition Ministry, via the European Social Fund. The remaining 20 per cent was co-financed by Puerto Lumberas and Huercal-Overa councils.
The overall objective of all the projects was to take advantage of the growth in employment opportunities in activities related to the environment and biodiversity, while at the same time helping to promote sustainability in economic activities in all sectors and the integration of biodiversity in business management.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Cathy Elelman is the local writer for the Costa de Almeria edition of the Euro Weekly News.
Based in Mojacar for the last 21 years, Cathy is very much part of the local community and is always well and truly up on all the latest news and events going on in this region of Spain.
Her top goals are to do the best job she can informing the local English-speaking community, visitors to the area and the wider world about about the news in Almeria, to learn something new every day, and to embrace very new challenge this fast-changing world brings her way.
Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Downlaod our media pack in either English or Spanish.