By George Stephens • 30 November 2019 • 7:53
The London Bridge attacker in England has been named as convicted terrorist Usman Khan, police said.
Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu said 28-year-old Khan had been living in the Staffordshire area and officers were now searching known addresses.
He added police were “not actively seeking anyone else” over the attack, which left 2 people dead yesterday and one in critical condition.
In a statement, Mr Basu said: “We are now in a position to confirm the identity of the suspect as 28-year-old Usman Khan, who had been residing in the Staffordshire area. As a result, officers are, tonight, carrying out searches at an address in Staffordshire.
“This individual was known to authorities, having been convicted in 2012 for terrorism offences. He was released from prison in December 2018 on licence and clearly, a key line of enquiry now is to establish how he came to carry out this attack.”
Khan who was wearing a fake suicide vest when he was shot dead on London Bridge in England on Friday yesterday in full view of horrified London Bridge users.
Three people – a man and two women – were also injured in the rampage and are being treated in hospital, MR Basu said with one being in critical condition and there other two stable.
It’s transpired that in February 2012, Khan was ordered to serve at least eight years in prison over his part in an al Qaida-inspired terror group that plotted to bomb the London Stock Exchange in England and build a terrorist training camp on land in Pakistan-controlled Kashmir owned by Khan’s family.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.