By Cristina Hodgson • 05 December 2019 • 6:50
Dog Starts House Fire In England By Turning On Microwave
DOG turns on microwave and sets off kitchen fire in British home
A dog in England started a house fire when it managed to turn the microwave on while its owner was away, fire officials said.
The husky, who was home-alone in the house in Stanford-le-Hope, turned on the appliance.
Essex Fire Service have informed that a packet of bread rolls, which had been placed inside, began to burn and cause a small fire.
When firefighters arrived, the kitchen was filled with smoke but the fire did not spread beyond the kitchen, the fire service said.
The dog had no doubt felt peckish and had smelt the food inside the kitchen appliance, but it’s attempt to have a snack could have ended in disaster. Fortunately when the firefighters arrived, though the kitchen was filled with smoke, the fire had not spread beyond the kitchen and the dog was not hurt, the service added.
The owner, who was not at home at the time, was alerted to the fire by a mobile phone app which gave live feeds from a camera set up in the house on Kingsman Road.
Geoff Wheal, watch manager at Corringham Fire Station, called it a “very strange incident” and said firefighters found the kitchen filled with smoke, but they made sure the flames did not spread to the rest of the house.
The incident has demonstrated that microwaves shouldn’t be used to store food when they aren’t in use.
Animals or children can turn them on more easily than one might think – so “please don’t run the risk.” Wheal added
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.