Royal Marine Fighting For Life After Beach Assault Accident

Cruise liner in Lockdown as passenger fall ill with the coronavirus

A Royal Marine recruit has been left fighting for his life after an accident during a beach assault training exercise. 

The unnamed recruit is understood to have had difficulty in the water. He was found lying face down in the water after taking part in the exercise at Tregantle beach, Cornwall. His colleagues acted by applying CPR to the recruit, attempting to save him – he was later airlifted to Derriford Hospital in Plymouth. 

The Royal Marine recruit is currently in critical condition.

It is understood that the exercise requires the men to unload from the assault boats and head towards the beach. A source has informed The Sun: “We were doing a tactical beach landing at Tregantle, and ‘Out Troops’ was called.

“The recruits got off and then went up to their eyeballs in water. It was below freezing and they were all over the place so the crew recovered them.”

An investigation has been launched by the Royal Navy. The Ministry of Defence has stated:“We are aware of an incident involving a member of the Royal Marines in Plymouth.

“The next of kin have been informed and we ask for privacy for the family at this sad time. The incident is currently under investigation, therefore it would be inappropriate to comment further.”

A spokesman for South Western Ambulance Service, added: “South Western Ambulance Service was called on Tuesday at 10.01pm about an incident at Tregantle Beach, Cornwall.

“The caller reported to us that a person had gone underwater. We sent land, air and other specialist paramedics to attend the incident. They treated a male patient at the scene and he was conveyed by air ambulance for further care.”

The Cornwall beach is used regularly by the Royal Marines. It is no stranger to the rehearsal beach assaults, with the exercise taking place during the latter stages of the 32 week commando training. 

Author badge placeholder
Written by

George Day