Must electricity company pay?

New changes to electricity charges will be in effect soon.

Question - EWNLast November there was a surge in the electric power and many of my home appliances were damaged beyond repair.

I have notified my insurance company but they are not willing to replace the items. I am over 80 years old and live alone. Should I have complained directly to the electric company as the insurance company are not willing to pay?

K B (Costa Blanca)

Answer - EWNYes, you should have claimed directly from the electric company. The big electric companies are legally responsible for damages caused by power surges or by outages that last long enough so that food spoils in the freezer.

The companies pay out millions of euros every year to customers who have suffered. You will need complete documentation on the time of the surge, and on the items that were ruined.

Unless you feel confident that you can present your claim in proper form, I suggest you consult a Spanish ‘gestoria’ or other professional to handle it for you.

Send your questions for David Searl through lawyers Ubeda-Retana and Associates in Fuengirola at [email protected], or call 952 667 090.

FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppTelegramLinkedInEmailCopy Link
Go Back
Written by

David Searl

You and the law in spain Send your questions for David Searl through lawyers Ubeda-Retana and Associates in Fuengirola at [email protected], or call 952 667 090.


    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published.