Canada says it will stop paying the £20million bill security for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle once they quit as working royals

Canada will stop paying to protect the Duke and Duchess of Sussex when they leave public life next month

The Canadian government will stop paying the security bill for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle once they stop working as royals at the end of March.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) has been helping London’s Metropolitan Police with security for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex “intermittently” since November, when the couple began a six-week holiday in Canada, according to a statement from Canada’s Office of the Minister of Public Safety.

Thursday’s statement is the first public confirmation that Canadians have picked up at least part of the tab for the couple’s security – estimated to cost millions of dollars a year.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has faced repeated questions about who would pay for the Sussexes security if they remained in Canada.

The RCMP said that it had been providing the pair with protection at their $14-million bolthole on Vancouver Island — as requested by London’s Metropolitan Police — because they were so-called “Internationally Protected Persons.”

Harry and Meghan stunned the British royal family in early January with their announcement that they were quitting to gain freedom from intense media scrutiny and to become financially independent.

The couple, who will step down as senior royals at the end of March, said they intended to split their lives between Britain and North America.

In an agreement struck with the Queen, they will no longer use the word “royal” or their HRH titles. The deal will be reviewed in a year.

“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex choosing to re-locate to Canada on a part-time basis presented our government with a unique and unprecedented set of circumstances,” Canada’s federal Public Safety Minister Bill Blair said on Thursday (local time).

However, “the assistance will cease in the coming weeks, in keeping with their change in status”, the minister’s office said.

“It is agreed that The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will continue to require effective security to protect them and their son,” it said.

However, it said no further details were available as they were classified.

Prince Harry is in Britain this week beginning his final round of engagements for the royal family. Meghan is expected to join him at some of those engagements.

The prince spoke at an event in Edinburgh on Wednesday, telling attendees to “just call him Harry”

FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppTelegramLinkedInEmailCopy Link
Go Back
Written by

Tony Winterburn

Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews

Comments


    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published.