Costa Almeria coronavirus patient allowed home

THE 28-YEAR old Almeria hospital patient diagnosed with the coronavirus was allowed to go home on Sunday.
The Junta de Andalucia Health Department reported that he was making a good recovery.
The news broke last Friday that a 28-year architect who lives in Milan and who had decided to return to his home in Almeria had been admitted to the Mediterraneo Hospital in the provincial capital after becoming the first confirmed case of coronavirus in the province.
He had gone to the hospital’s emergencies department on Tuesday when he started a cough and muscular pains in his neck. It was decided he should stay at home under active monitoring and to return if the symptoms got worse or he started running a high fever. By the Wednesday he had a high temperature, so he went back to the hospital and was tested for coronavirus.
The following day the result came back positive and he was put into isolation.
He told Spanish press on Saturday he had nothing worse than cold-like symptoms and had had just one day of a high temperature
“I think it is important to avoid alarm and stay calm”, he commented.
“At all times I have had very minor symptoms, I’m absolutely fine. This is not ebola”, he added
The architect described the situation in Milan as “chaotic” and said it had even been difficult to find food in supermarkets. Originally he had planned to self-quarantine in his flat in the Italian city, but in the end decided to come back to Almeria as at that time he had not experienced any symptoms of the virus.
“I took all possible precautions, although I could not buy a mask as just like in Spain they had sold out”, he said.
“I tried to not have contact with anyone and I constantly washed my hands.”
He told press he believed he could have picked up the virus at Milan airport on the previous Monday when he flew to Granada.
“I was in the airport a long time and perhaps the contagion happened there, because none of my Milan flatmates or people I know there have the virus.”
He also said he took every precaution when he arrived in Spain, not shaking his family’s hands or kissing them.
The Mediterraneo hospital has adopted all the measures set out in the protocol for cases like the coronavirus.
The 28-year old’s family and people he has been in close contact with are also being monitored and have been instructed to be on the alert for symptoms compatible with the illness.

FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppTelegramLinkedInEmailCopy Link
Go Back
Written by

Cathy Elelman

Cathy Elelman is the local writer for the Costa de Almeria edition of the Euro Weekly News.

Based in Mojacar for the last 21 years, Cathy is very much part of the local community and is always well and truly up on all the latest news and events going on in this region of Spain.

Her top goals are to do the best job she can informing the local English-speaking community, visitors to the area and the wider world about about the news in Almeria, to learn something new every day, and to embrace very new challenge this fast-changing world brings her way.

Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews

Comments


    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published.