Harry Dunn family set to receive documents lawyers believe could reveal Foreign Office cover up

LAWYERS for the family of Harry Dunn are due to receive documents they believe could reveal a Foreign Office cover up, British press report.

Teenager Harry Dunn died when his motorbike collided with a car outside a US military base in Northamptonshire in late August last year.

Anne Sacoolas, the 42-year old wife of a US intelligence official based at RAF Croughton was charged with causing his death by dangerous driving in December. But she had been granted diplomatic immunity and was able to return to her home country, sparking an international controversy.

The documents in question reportedly show that a senior diplomat at the FCO sent a text message to a US Embassy counterpart saying they should “feel able” to put suspect Anne Sacoolas on the next flight back to the US.

Dunn family spokesman Radd Seiger claimed on Saturday that a court order instructing the Foreign Office to supply documents had been breached, but this has been denied by the department.

The press reports highlighted a briefing note said to have emerged earlier this year, sent three days after the fatal crash and copied to Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab’s private secretary, which referred to concerns over some “very unpalatable headlines.”

Now further UK government documents will reportedly be disclosed to the Dunn family lawyers in the coming days.

In a statement the Foreign Office said: “We are responding to legal action in the judicial review in the normal way and have responded to all the court requirements in full.”

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo turned down a Home Office extradition request for Sarcoolas in January, and last week the Dunn family received the news that the US has rejected their appeal to President Trump to reconsider the extradition denial.

“Harry’s parents continue to suffer extreme emotional and psychological hardship. Time is therefore of the essence”, Seiger commented to press about the disclosure documents.

“Every passing hour, let alone day, increases the danger for them and I have made that clear to Mr Raab consistently throughout,” he said.

“But frankly, his conduct in the judicial review has been nothing short of disgraceful.”

FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppTelegramLinkedInEmailCopy Link
Go Back
Written by

Cathy Elelman

Cathy Elelman is the local writer for the Costa de Almeria edition of the Euro Weekly News.

Based in Mojacar for the last 21 years, Cathy is very much part of the local community and is always well and truly up on all the latest news and events going on in this region of Spain.

Her top goals are to do the best job she can informing the local English-speaking community, visitors to the area and the wider world about about the news in Almeria, to learn something new every day, and to embrace very new challenge this fast-changing world brings her way.

Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews

Comments


    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published.