By John Smith •
Published: 03 Aug 2020 • 11:34
The aftermath of the fire
Credit: Anita Verhoogt Facebook
ONE family had a lucky escape when a fire broke out near to their property in the Benahavis area last night (Sunday August 2).
Firefighters quickly arrived on the scene and managed to protect their house but they lost their garage and utility room which were adjacent to the main house.
No-one was hurt but all of their tools and camping equipment as well as a washing machine were lost and the garden itself will need to be remodelled.
Anita Verhoogt who lives in the property with her husband and young son Mitchell wrote on her Facebook page, how grateful they were for the fantastic efforts made by the fire brigade to put the fire out before it got to their house.
In addition, they left a tender nearby for several hours in case the fire came back to life.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don't already have one. Review our
Married to Ophelia in Gibraltar in 1978, John has spent much of his life travelling on security print and minting business and visited every continent except Antarctica.
Having retired several years ago, the couple moved to their house in Estepona and John became a regular news writer for the EWN Media Group taking particular interest in Finance, Gibraltar and Costa del Sol Social Scene.
Currently he is acting as Editorial Consultant for the paper helping to shape its future development.
Share your story with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.