Teenage Snorkeller in Spain Dies After Deadly Spider Fish Bites Her Windpipe

A teenage snorkeller in Spain has sadly passed away after a spider fish bit her windpipe in Platja d’Aro (Girona). The teen passed away on August 15 and according to the first post-mortem results, she suffered an anaphylactic shock after the bite.

The parents released a statement on Wednesday indicating that the bite was from a Trachinus Araneus, also known as a spotted weever or spider fish. The Guardia Civil has also noted that they are yet to receive the camera used by the teen to film the seabed at the time of her death.

The incident occurred at around 3.30pm when the parents of the 16-year-old girl realised they had not seen their daughter for a significant amount of time. They soon became worried and alerted the lifeguards who activated the emergency protocol. Finally, a group of bathers found the girl at around 4.15pm.

The snorkeller was brought out shore where the lifeguards proceeded to try and revive her but they were unsuccessful. According to news sources, the girl had a small wound on her windpipe of around two to three millimetres in size. She also had some marks on her face which made the family suspect that she had not died from drowning.

The results of the toxicological tests sent to the National Institute of Toxicology in Barcelona, ​​indicate that, for now, the death was a result of an ‘anaphylactic shock from a reaction to a toxin.’

Author badge placeholder
Written by

Laura Taylor

Laura Taylor is a graduate from the University of Leeds. At university, she obtained a Bachelors in Communication and Media, as well as a Masters in International Relations.
She is half British and half Spanish and resides in Malaga. Her focus when writing news typically encompasses national Spanish news and local news from the Costa del Sol.

Share your story with us by emailing newsdesk@euroweeklynews.com, by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews