By Laura Taylor • 21 August 2020 • 11:45
The Nile virus has claimed its first victim in Spain this year after a swarm of disease-ridden mosquitos invaded a town in southern Spain and infected dozens. The victim is a resident in La Puebla del Rio, Sevilla, who was 77 years of age. This Thursday the councillor of Health and Families of the Junta de Andalucia, announced the man’s death.
The victim was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit in the Virgen del Rocio Hospital in Sevilla where he spent approximately two weeks. Sources confirm that the man had suffered from Nile fever after being bitten by a mosquito.
The director of the health district of Aljafare (where the Nile fever is prominent) has announced that over the last few days the number of Nile fever cases has risen and now a total of 35 residents have been infected. The Nile virus is an illness which can be transmitted from the mosquitos to humans, birds, horses and other mammals.
According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), around 80 per cent of infected people do not experience any symptoms, while the remaining 20 per cent do manifest symptoms and their most serious diagnosis leads to encephalitis or meningitis, which can lead to brain damage and then death.
Most of the noted cases have been attributed to a few towns with many wetlands and marshes, this combined with high temperatures and rains has favoured the prominence of mosquitos and created a much larger population.
For more up to date news about Spain check out some of our other articles.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Laura Taylor is a graduate from the University of Leeds. At university, she obtained a Bachelors in Communication and Media, as well as a Masters in International Relations. She is half British and half Spanish and resides in Malaga. Her focus when writing news typically encompasses national Spanish news and local news from the Costa del Sol.
Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.