By Jennifer Leighfield • 10 December 2020 • 1:57
AN 11-year-old girl died in Buleleng, Bali, after eating puffer fish crackers.
She was on holiday with her family and went to visit the home of some relatives. Her cousin’s parents gave her and their daughter, aged five, the crackers containing the fish. They ate them out of a container, the police have said.
An hour later, the two girls began to feel dizzy and weak, so they were transferred to Buleleng Public Hospital and placed in intensive care.
The 11-year-old girl died hours after arriving at the hospital . Meanwhile, the five-year-old reacted well to the treatment and her prognosis was favourable.
The authorities believe that the minor may have died due to the poison that this type of fish contains, called tetrodotoxin, for which there is still no antidote.
Other relative ate the same crackers that day, but showed no symptoms. The children may have eaten parts which still contained poison, the police said.
Thank you for taking the time to read this news article “Girl dies after eating puffer fish crackers”. For more UK daily news, Spanish daily news and Global news stories, visit the Euro Weekly News home page.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Jennifer Leighfield, born in Salisbury, UK; resident in Malaga, Spain since 1989. Degree in Translation and Interpreting in Spanish, French and English from Malaga University (2005), specialising in Crime, Forensic Medicine and Genetics.
Published translations include three books by Richard Handscombe. Worked with Euro Weekly News since November 2006. Well-travelled throughout Spain and the rest of the world, fan of Harry Potter and most things ‘geek’.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.