By Ron Howells •
Published: 06 Jun 2021 • 23:20
Survey Shows 92 Percent Of Spaniards Intend To Book Summer 'Staycations'. image: Wikipedia
Survey Shows 92 Percent Of Spaniards Intend To Book Summer ‘Staycations’.
Over 98% of Spaniards intend to spend their holidays at home or book a staycation, with the remaining 2% determined to spend their days exclusively outside the country.
This surprising result was revealed in a survey carried out by Ipsos (market research and consulting firm) from questions to members of its What & Why community, where all of them expressed their intention to go on vacation this summer after an anomalous 2020 due to the Covid pandemic.
People in Spain can already start planning their domestic summer holidays, Spain’s tourism minister said recently as the vast majority of Spaniards are now able to travel freely throughout most of the country – something that has not been possible since last October.
“We are getting out of this long, dark tunnel,” Tourism Minister Reyes Maroto said in an interview with Spanish broadcaster La Sexta. “Last summer, people were allowed to go on holidays but this time around we have vaccines, which will make it even safer,” she said.
Despite the desire to get away, the study revealed a great deal of indecision: two out of three admitted that they still do not have their holidays booked and, of them, 52% declared that they prefer to wait and see how the pandemic evolves to ensure that everything is more controlled and calm.
Regarding where to stay during vacation time, the data changes with respect to 2020 with those opting to stay in hotels up by 10% (from 38% to 48%)
Regarding a preference in destinations, the beach, with 73%, continues to prevail over the mountains. In addition, 57% said they would seek rest and disconnection from daily life, while 33% will opt for city tourism since there are also those whose main aim is to get to know new places (29%).
On the subject of transport, 86% will choose the car as a means of transport to reach their holiday destination, while 21% will use the plane and 8% the train.
The Euro Weekly News is running a campaign to help reunite Brits in Spain with their family and friends by capping the costs of PCR tests for travel. Please help us urge the government to cap costs at https://euroweeklynews.com/2021/04/16/ewn-champions-the-rights-of-brits-in-spain-to-see-loved-ones-again/
Thank you for reading this article, and remember, don’t forget to check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don't already have one. Review our
Ron actually started his working career as an Ophthalmic Technician- things changed when, during a band rehearsal, his amplifier blew up and he couldn’t get it fixed so he took a course at Birmingham University and ended up doing a degree course. He built up a chain of electronics stores and sold them as a franchise over 35 years ago. After five years touring the world Ron decided to move to Spain with his wife and son, a place they had visited over the years, and only bought the villa they live in because it has a guitar-shaped swimming pool!.
Playing the guitar since the age of 7, he can often be seen, (and heard!) at beach bars and clubs along the length of the coast. He has always been interested in the news and constantly thrives to present his articles in an interesting and engaging way.
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.