Can I avoid paying double income tax in the UK and in Spain?

Q.- I am a British pensioner with an extra works pension. I pay income tax on these in the UK. Now that I am a ‘resident’, the Tax Agency in Spain wants me to pay tax here.

However, I still pay UK income tax at 20 per cent and I understand this will be 22 per cent in Spain. My questions to our local Consulate and to the UK tax office have so far brought no result. I consulted a Spanish lawyer, who also was unable to help. What can I do?

R L (Mallorca)

A.- You need to obtain Form S1, Spain-Individual, and FD9 to apply for relief at source from United Kingdom income tax and also claim any repayment of UK tax which you may be owed from HM Revenue & Customs.

You can write to HM Revenue & Customs at Ty Glas, Ty Glas Road, Llanishen, Cardiff, United Kingdom, CF14 5YA. You can telephone HMRC for help during UK office hours from outside the UK at +44 135 535 9022. The form itself is quite daunting, at 18 pages. Finally you deliver the completed form to your nearest Spanish Tax Agency office.

Send your questions for David Searl through lawyers Ubeda-Retana and Associates in Fuengirola at [email protected], or call 952 667 090

FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppTelegramLinkedInEmailCopy Link
Go Back
Written by

David Searl

You and the law in spain Send your questions for David Searl through lawyers Ubeda-Retana and Associates in Fuengirola at [email protected], or call 952 667 090.


    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published.