By Ron Howells • 24 September 2021 • 11:15
Summer tourism in Malaga province up by 74% compared to 2020. image: Wikipedia
Summer tourism in Malaga province is up by 74% compared to the same period last year.
Tourist figures for Malaga in summer 2021 have confirmed a significant rebound in travellers and hotel stays compared to last year, which was heavily weighed down by the impact of the pandemic.
However, the volume of visitors is still lower than in 2019, the last period of economic normality before the outbreak of the coronavirus.
According to the Hotel Occupancy Survey published yesterday, Thursday, September, 23, by the National Institute of Statistics (INE), August closed with 621,842 travellers and 2.3 million overnight stays, a volume that increased by 74% and 112% respectively the records of the same month in 2020, although it remains 10% and 15% below pre-pandemic levels.
The accumulated total for the year leaves Malaga, for the moment, with 1.9 million hotel visitors and six million stays, figures which are still far removed from the more than four million tourists and 14.3 million overnight stays registered at these heights of the year 2019.
The report confirms again that it is Spanish tourists who are mainly supporting the rise in figures with 64% of the visitors arriving in Malaga in August (almost two thirds) were nationals and the other 36% foreigners when in the pre-pandemic era it was the opposite way round.
With regard to overnight stays, the national market was the one with the highest percentage in the data, occupying almost 60% of the total. The same pattern is being repeated in the figures so far this year, confirming on the one hand that Spaniards have chosen this year to focus on holiday destinations in their own country, so-called staycations, and on the other, that foreigners have not yet returned in their numbers to the country.
A recent lifting of restrictions by the UK for fully vaccinated travellers returning from Spain is slowly starting to reap benefits for the Spanish tourist industry with many parts of the sector reporting an increase in bookings to mainland Spain and its sIslands.
Thank you for taking the time to read this article, do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Ron actually started his working career as an Ophthalmic Technician- things changed when, during a band rehearsal, his amplifier blew up and he couldn’t get it fixed so he took a course at Birmingham University and ended up doing a degree course. He built up a chain of electronics stores and sold them as a franchise over 35 years ago. After five years touring the world Ron decided to move to Spain with his wife and son, a place they had visited over the years, and only bought the villa they live in because it has a guitar-shaped swimming pool!.
Playing the guitar since the age of 7, he can often be seen, (and heard!) at beach bars and clubs along the length of the coast. He has always been interested in the news and constantly thrives to present his articles in an interesting and engaging way.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.