By Chris King • 08 October 2021 • 19:58
Electrician David Fuller, aged 67, was arrested back in December 2020, and charged with being responsible for what were dubbed the ‘Bedsit Murders’. In Maidstone Crown Court today, Friday, October 9, at a pre-trial hearing, the hearing prosecutor, Duncan Atkinson QC, told the court that Fuller has admitted to the killings.
Mr Atkinson added that Fuller denies the murder charges on the grounds of diminished responsibility. The electrician will face a trial on November 1, but now ends the mystery of the longest unsolved murders in British criminal history, which occurred 34 years ago.
The case involved the killing in 1987 of two young women, 20-year-old restaurant worker, Caroline Pierce, and 25-year-old Shop manager, Wendy Knell. Both women were found dead in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, just a few months apart, and became known as the ‘Bedsit Murders’.
Despite numerous television programmes about the murders, with even a BBC Crimewatch appeal, the murders remained unsolved for almost 30 years. Then, in December 2020, Fuller, from Heathfield, East Sussex was arrested for the murders.
During today’s pre-trial hearing, Mr Atkinson told Mrs Justice Cheema Grubb, “The defendant has admitted responsibility for both killings on the basis of diminished responsibility”. This was also reconfirmed by Oliver Saxby QC, Fuller’s barrister.
Whether the Crown will accept such a plea remains to be seen in November, with the court being told that psychiatric reports into Fuller and his state of mind, are still ongoing.
After failing to turn up for work, Wendy was found dead on June 23, 1987, in her ground-floor flat in Guildford Road. Investigators believe that although Caroline’s body was discovered in a dyke in a field on Romney Marsh, she was actually killed three weeks previously, on November 24, as reported by dailymail.co.uk.
Thank you for reading, and don’t forget to check The Euro Weekly News for all your up-to-date local and international news stories.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Originally from Wales, Chris spent years on the Costa del Sol before moving to the Algarve where he is a web reporter for The Euro Weekly News covering international and Spanish national news.
Got a news story you want to share? Then get in touch at [email protected]
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.