By Tamsin Brown • 13 December 2021 • 18:10
Mystery of Fuengirola river full of thousands of dead fish.
Renfe has beaten its record for the most passengers in a day since the start of the pandemic.
The state-owned Spanish railway company Renfe managed to beat its record for the most passengers in a single day since the start of the pandemic, when it transported a total of 156,310 people on December 3, just as the long weekend was starting.
According to a statement given by the railway company, over the entire week of the December long weekend (Puente de la Constitución), Renfe transported a total of 1.13 million people on its Ave (high-speed), long-distance and mid-distance trains.
Around 64% of the passengers used Renfe’s commercial services (Ave and long-distance), whereas the remaining 36% used Avant (high-speed mid-distance) and mid-distance.
On December 3, when Renfe registered a new record for the number of passengers in a single day since the start of the pandemic, 96,691 people used the Ave and long-distance services.
In order to cope with the increased demand, Renfe increased the number of places available on Ave and long-distance trains by 11.7% of the usual offer, scheduling a total of 174 double-unit trains.
Thank you for taking the time to read this article, do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Originally from London, Tamsin is based in Malaga and is a local reporter for the Euro Weekly News covering Spanish and international news.
Got a news story you want to share? Then get in touch at [email protected]
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.