By Laura Kemp • 04 January 2022 • 18:56
9-year-old boy almost left blind after suffering rare "Covid eye". Image - Anglela Morey
Nine-year-old Zac Morey spent Christmas in hospital and nearly went partially blind because of a rare side effect from Covid called “Covid eye,” losing the vision in his left eye less than a week after testing positive.
Zac’s eye completely closed in the frightening ordeal after he was diagnosed with orbital cellulitis – a skin infection that has been linked to Covid.
He was put on an IV drip at Bristol Royal Hospital for children when his left eye became severely swollen.
Zac’s mum Angela said: “His eye looked like it was going to explode. There was no way he could open it without pulling the skin. It was swollen beyond anything I’ve ever seen.”
The issue began following Zac’s positive covid result on December 16, along with his mother and four siblings.
He began with cold-like symptoms and spent his isolation period at home playing computer games, however, on December 22 – even though he had tested negative for Covid twice and had no other symptoms – he began to experience pain in his left eye.
Angela said: “I thought it just been on the computer for seven days solid so didn’t think anything of it.”
“But by Christmas Eve it was not good at all. We took him to hospital and he was put on an antibiotic drip until Boxing Day.”
“They said if it goes too far into the eye then it can cause blindness. The doctors said it was an allergic reaction to the virus that affects children.”
Zac was released from hospital on December 26 following an eye test confirming his vision has fully recovered.
On its website, Specsavers advises: “Coronavirus can cause conjunctivitis, however it’s quite rare — occurring in about 1-3 per cent of affected people and is on the less frequent symptoms list by the World Health Organisation.”
“Conjunctivitis associated with Covid-19 tends to occur in the later stages of the disease, alongside more common symptoms such as a continuous cough and fever.”
Thank you for taking the time to read this article, do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Originally from UK, Laura is based in Axarquia and is a writer for the Euro Weekly News covering news and features.
Got a news story you want to share? Then get in touch at [email protected]
conjunctivitis can be caused by all sorts of viruses (not just covid), bacteria, allergens, chemicals, fungi, foreign objects in the eye……… It isn´t something new that only is caused by covid, I had it several times when I was a kid……..
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Downlaod our media pack in either English or Spanish.