By Euro Weekly News Media • 07 January 2022 • 10:52
Chocolate is not healthy.
Ingestion of chocolate is one of the most common causes of poisoning in dogs. Chocolate contains theobromine and dogs and cats metabolise theobromine more slowly than humans.
The lethal dose (LD50) for dogs is 300mg / kg and for cats 200mg / kg. Cats are more sensitive but have little desire to eat chocolate. A dose of 80mg / kg is enough to cause severe poisoning. Even with an ingestion of 20mg / kg, slight signs such as polydipsia / polyuria (drinking and urinating a lot) and diarrhoea may appear.
The amount of theobromine depends on the type of chocolate. Only 24 grams of pure chocolate coverage would cause the poisoning of a 20kg dog and it would be necessary four times more if it was treats of milk chocolate.
The clinical signs are vomiting, diarrhoea, muscle tremors, rapid breathing, cyanosis, hyperthermia, hypertension, restlessness and if the poisoning is significant, seizures, coma and death. Symptoms appear after four to 12 hours.
If you think that your pet has been able to eat a significant amount of chocolate, you should go to the vet immediately.
Centro Veterinario de Diagnóstico por Imagen de Levante
C/Los arcos 23 Cuidad Quesada Rojales Tel: 966 716 176 – 609 779 109
Anicura Marina Baixa Hospital Veterinario
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.