WATCH: Hundreds of casualties reported after fighting in Mariupol, Ukraine

WATCH: Hundreds of casualties reported after fighting in Mariupol, Ukraine. Credit: Twitter

WATCH: Hundreds of casualties were reported after fighting in Mariupol, Ukraine.

HUNDREDS of casualties have been reported in Mariupol, Ukraine after intense fighting has continued in the area on Wednesday, March 2.

Shocking videos on social media platform Twitter show fighting, explosions and dead bodies in the streets of the Ukrainian port city.

Mariupol’s mayor, Vadym Boichenko, said the city had suffered mass casualties and a water outage lasting over 12 hours.

During a live broadcast on Ukrainian TV on Wednesday, March 2, Boichenko said: “The enemy occupying forces of the Russian Federation have done everything to block the exit of civilians from the city of half a million people.”

One Ukrainian soldier in Mariupol told The Telegraph: “If anything happens, don’t let us be forgotten. We are surrounded in Mariupol and no way out.”

The deputy mayor, Sergiy Orlov, told BBC News that one of Mariupol’s districts had been “nearly totally destroyed” by relentless bombing.

“We cannot count the number of victims there, but we believe at least hundreds of people are dead. We cannot go in to retrieve the bodies,” he said.

“The Russian army is working through all their weapons here—artillery, multiple rocket launch systems, aeroplanes, tactical rockets. They are trying to destroy the city.”

Fighting has intensified in multiple Ukrainian cities, with Kyiv, Odessa and Kharkiv suffering sustained attacks on March 2.

However, despite the danger in Mariupol, videos have circulated showing hundreds of residents protesting through the streets.


Thank you for taking the time to read this article, do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.

FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppTelegramLinkedInEmailCopy Link
Go Back
Written by

Matthew Roscoe

Originally from the UK, Matthew is based on the Costa Blanca and is a web reporter for The Euro Weekly News covering international and Spanish national news. Got a news story you want to share? Then get in touch at [email protected]

Comments


    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *