Parents heartbroken as grave for stillborn daughter dumped

Credit: Google maps

Parents are heartbroken as the grave for their stillborn daughter is dumped in a skip. The grieving parents have claimed that the council has thrown their stillborn baby’s grave display “in a skip.”

Valencia died last June and was buried at Cheadle’s Mill Lane Cemetery. Her distraught parents Ryan Stokes and Keelie Walker had created a “beautiful little place” at the cemetery. It had helped them ease their pain.

The family along with Valencia’s siblings had created a small garden display. They thought that the display met the rules and was within the one foot from her plot limit.

Locals were distraught last year after Stockport Council cleared displays away. It seems the same has happened again. The family discovered that Valencia’s display had disappeared on March 1.

Dad Ryan told The Manchester Evening News: “I was told I [could] go a foot out. She has only been there for six months.

“I am just over a foot out [from my plot] and they have taken the lot out and thrown it in a skip.”

He went on to add: “I want to have my baby moved. I want her dug up.”

The shocked dad revealed: “That was our beautiful little place,”

“We take our children to see their little sister. Our lives have never been the same.

“My partner has had postnatal depression. It still feels as fresh as anything. It has put our anxiety through the roof.”

Stockport Council has said that every grave owner is aware of the rules. The council said: “The area where this burial has taken place is the baby memorial garden. It was developed in conjunction with Stockport SANDS. It was always intended to be kept as a lawned design and this was agreed with Stockport SANDS. Everyone is sent a welcome pack making this clear.

“We understand that this is an extremely sensitive issue and as such, we have worked hard with all the families affected and given them notice to remove their items. In this case, we wrote to the grave owner on December 3, 2021 and February 1, 2022 asking that the garden is removed.

“This grave is the only one in this area where a small garden has been set out and we have never given permission for this and there is also no agreement to leave tributes outside of the boundary. The work was carried out to ensure that the lawned appearance of the cemetery can be maintained in line with the wishes of the majority of grave owners.”


Thank you for taking the time to read this article, do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.

FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppTelegramLinkedInEmailCopy Link
Go Back
Alex
Written by

Alex Glenn

Originally from the UK, Alex is based in Almeria and is a web reporter for The Euro Weekly News covering international and Spanish national news. Got a news story you want to share? Then get in touch at [email protected]

Comments