By Matthew Roscoe • 04 March 2022 • 10:49
UKRAINIAN President Volodymyr Zelensky claims he has survived multiple assassination attempts since Russia invaded his country on February 24.
The actor-turned-politician, who has been very vocal on social media since the conflict began, claims that three attempts on his life have been thwarted, as reported by the Times.
As per the report, Russians opposed to the war in Ukraine fed intel to the country’s top officials about two separate mercenary groups that planned to launch the attacks on the president.
“I can say that we have received information from [Russia’s Federal Security Service], who do not want to take part in this bloody war,” Ukraine Secretary of National Security and Defence told local TV stations, according to the Times.
The shadowy Kremlin-backed Wagner Group was behind two of the attempts, the Times reported.
“They would be going in there with a very high-profile mission, something that the Russians would want to be deniable — a decapitation of a head of state is a huge mission,” a diplomatic source told the newspaper.
“In terms of the impact on Russian sovereign policy, this would be perhaps their biggest mission so far. It would have a major impact on the war.”
The 44-year-old president was also targetted, alongside other top-ranking Ukrainian officials, by Chechen kill squads and is said to have avoided an assassination attempt led by Chechen forces on Saturday, February 25.
The Daily Mail reported at the time that the soldiers have been set the specific task of eliminating Ukrainian government officials and were reportedly been given a special “deck of cards” with their photos and descriptions on.
Thank you for taking the time to read this article, do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Originally from the UK, Matthew is based on the Costa Blanca and is a web reporter for The Euro Weekly News covering international and Spanish national news. Got a news story you want to share? Then get in touch at [email protected]
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.