By Chris King • 20 March 2022 • 3:01
Image of a P&O ferry.
Credit: @andypoulton/ Twitter
P&O Ferries sacked 800 workers without warning last Thursday, March 17. It has since been revealed that the Scottish government is reviewing all publicly-funded contracts with the operator. Staff were informed via video message that Thursday was their final day of employment with the company.
Jenny Gilruth, the Scottish Transport Minister, told BBC Scotland that the Scottish government has been in talks with P&O bosses. She assured that all relationships with the company are being re-examined. P&O’s actions “across the board” will be looked into she insisted, along with any contracts that might involve the Scottish government.
She confirmed that along with First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, they had spoken with Peter Hebblethwaite, the chief executive P&O. Their ‘utter dismay’ over his actions had been conveyed to him she said.
“We will be looking at our relationship with P&O going forward, because the manner in which they have worked with their staff is appalling”, Ms Gilruth said. “We as a government need to look closely at how we are able to support staff”.
Adding, “But we all need to seek clarity from P&O, because we don’t yet know the number of jobs in Scotland affected – only the total number across the United Kingdom”.
The publication of legal advice received by the UK government was also urged by Ms Gilruth. This could help to prove that P&O may have broken the law with regards to their mass sackings of staff, she added. While trying to get the redundancy decision reversed, Mr Johnson’s government should “leave no stone unturned” she stressed, as reported by bbc.com.
Thank you for taking the time to read this article, do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you donâ€™t already have one. Review our
Originally from Wales, Chris spent years on the Costa del Sol before moving to the Algarve where he is a web reporter for The Euro Weekly News covering international and Spanish national news.
Got a news story you want to share? Then get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.