Sun Lawyers give non-lucrative visa information

How to guide: How much does a visa to Spain cost?

How to guide: How much does a visa to Spain cost? Image - MA8/shutterstock

At Sun Lawyers we are helping retiree clients with the applications for non-lucrative visas. To date, we have successfully processed over 100. What we are finding is that people can get so far on their own, and then they reach out for help when the going gets tough.

That’s absolutely fine; the process is complex in places and the benefit of working with Sun Lawyers is we are engaging with the Consulates on a regular basis. If you are at the start of your visa application, here is a useful list for you.

The information that needs to be collated ahead of the appointment is:

  • Two copies of the National Visa Application Form duly filled in and signed by the applicant.
  • One recent colour photo with white background, 3.5cm x 4.5cm.
  • Original passport, valid for at least 1 year from submission of application and 2 blank pages.  Also a photocopy of every page of the passport.
  • Police clearance from countries of residence for the last 5 years (for British citizens and residents: ACRO criminal record certificate). Must be legalized by means of a Hague Apostille Certificate and translated into Spanish.
  • Medical certificate: The applicant must be accredited to not suffer from any diseases that can have serious health consequences in accordance with the provisions of the International Health Regulations 2005. Must be legalized by means of a Hague Apostille Certificate and translated into Spanish. Alternatively, and more cheaply, you can obtain the medical certificate in Spain and it will not need to be translated. Note: the Spanish certificate may only have a 3 month validity.
  • Medical insurance with an insurance company authorised to operate in Spain valid for at least the first 12 months of stay in Spain. The British S1 form is also acceptable.
  • Documents proving sufficient financial means for living expenses and accommodation (€2,316.08 per month per applicant for the first 12 months plus €579.02 per family member that is financially dependent) e.g., stamped bank statements, proof of pension etc.
  • Form EX-01 – Non-lucrative Temporary Residence Authorization Form.
  • Form 790-052 – Residency fee form.

Note: This information is taken from the Spanish Consulate in London website and is correct as of 11 February 2022

The non-lucrative visa itself is valid for a period of 90 days in which time the holder must travel to Spain and upon arrival there must apply for the Foreigner Identity Card (TIE) which will be valid for 1 year. Your passport must be stamped on arrival. You must apply for the TIE within one month of your arrival in Spain at an Oficina de Extranjería (immigration office).

Contact Sun Lawyers

We provide a visa application support service. It doesn’t matter if you are in the UK or in Spain, we can work with you to get all the necessary documents together. Email for a no-obligation first exploratory meeting.

Sun Lawyers was founded in 1985. We are an English-speaking firm of lawyers on the Costa Blanca with 8 offices helping expats to buy property and relocate to Spain.

Thank you for taking the time to read this article. Do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories. Remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.

Written by

Laura Kemp

Originally from UK, Laura is based in Axarquia and is a writer for the Euro Weekly News covering news and features. Got a news story you want to share? Then get in touch at