UPDATE: Copenhagen shooter charged and remanded into psychiatric facility

Image of Field's mall in Copenhagen. Credit: Google maps - Fields

Copenhagen City Court has remanded a 22-year-old man charged with yesterday’s shooting incident into a psychiatic facility.

 

UPDATE: Monday, July 4 at 4:03pm

The suspect arrested yesterday, Sunday, July 3, by Danish police, in connection with the shooting incident in Copenhagen, has appeared in Copenhagen City Court today. A 22-year-old man has been remanded in surrogate custody for 24 days in a closed psychiatric ward according to the latest update from @KobenhavnPoliti.

The court has banned the media from releasing the names of both the suspect and the 10 victims. A 22-year-old male is currently charged with three counts of manslaughter and seven counts of attempted murder.

———————————–

UPDATE: Sunday, July 3 at 8:16pm

At a press conference held by Chief of Police, Inspector Søren Thomassen, from the Copenhagen Police, he confirmed that a shooting incident occurred this afternoon at around 5:30pm local time, at the Field’s mall on Amager, in Copenhagen.

Without going into detail, he revealed that there have been several fatalities, as well as other people injured. This was reported a few minutes ago by Danish publication Jyllands-Posten.

As confirmed by Thomassen, a 22-year-old ethnic Danish man was arrested at the scene in connection with the shootings shortly after armed cops arrived. Shots had been fired in several parts of the mall said the chief.

There is no confirmation that the event is terror-related, but this has not been denied either. Thomassen detailed: “We are investigating it as an incident where we cannot deny that it is terror”.

A huge police operation has been initiated throughout Zealand as a result of this incident, as it is still unknown if the gunman was operating alone. “We must be absolutely sure that we are in control of this situation. It’s a massive operation”, the chief of police concluded.

——————————————————–

Sunday, July 3 at 7:47pm

The Danish police have confirmed on their Twitter profile @KobenhavnPoliti that an incident has taken place this afternoon, Sunday, July 3, involving an active gunman in the country’s capital city of Copenhagen. According to their tweet, several members of the public have been shot.

“We are still present, shots have been fired and several people have been hit. We work on-site. People in the Fields must stay and await the police. All other persons must stay away from Fields”, the force tweeted earlier.

Video footage was uploaded onto social media from the Field’s Shopping Mall. It showed terrified people running to escape to safety. A ‘large number’ of police officers are said to be attending the location. There has been no indication as to how many people have been injured during the shooting.

It has been reported at the time of writing that the Danish police have arrested one man in connection with the incident. As this is a breaking news story we will try to keep you updated, thank you.

___________________________________________________________

Thank you for taking the time to read this article. Do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.

FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppTelegramLinkedInEmailCopy Link
Go Back
Written by

Chris King

Originally from Wales, Chris spent years on the Costa del Sol before moving to the Algarve where he is a web reporter for The Euro Weekly News covering international and Spanish national news. Got a news story you want to share? Then get in touch at [email protected]

Comments


    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published.