By Tamsin Brown • 14 July 2022 • 20:53
The Mallorca Fire Department has warned that people should take extra precautions as fires can start when charging devices such as scooters.
The Mallorca Fire Department has launched a campaign on social networks to warn citizens about the risk of fires in homes caused by personal mobility devices (PMDs), which include electric skateboards, motorised scooters and Segways.
The number of people who use PMDs has grown significantly over the last few years. They can be found in many Mallorca homes, mainly because of their convenience for getting around cities and how easily they can be charged. However, charging these devices also requires a great deal of care, as they can be the source of a fire or other types of accident, and people should take extra precautions.
The Mallorca Fire Department recommends only ever using the charger and batteries provided by the manufacturer. These devices should never be charged near combustible materials, when wet or if the batteries have suffered any type of damage. They should not be left charging unattended and it is not advisable to connect a lot of equipment to the same power strip. Finally, PMDs should not be tampered with, as doing so increases the risk of fire.
Thank you for taking the time to read this article, do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Originally from London, Tamsin is based in Malaga and is a local reporter for the Euro Weekly News covering Spanish and international news.
Got a news story you want to share? Then get in touch at [email protected]
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.