UK News

UPDATE: Ministers had a plan to elect PM if Covid-19 killed Boris

Share

16:46 (December 3) – Another one of Matt Hancock’s revelations is that ministers secretly agreed a plan to install and new leader in case Boris Johnson died after he caught COVID-19.

The UK unlike many other countries, doesn’t have a succession plan so ministers felt it the prudent thing to do, particularly as Johnson became very ill and had to be hospitalised.

According to Hancock, that news led to numerous pharmaceutical companies making contact to offer whatever drugs were needed to keep the then prime minister alive.

Johnson tested positive for the virus on March 27, becoming the first world-leader to announce he had the disease, at the time positing a jovial message saying that he was working from home and experiencing mils symptoms.

But that gung-ho attitude didn’t last long with his hospitalisation on April 5 and ultimately his move to intensive care where he was put on a ventilator.

Hancock said it was touch and go with a 50-:50 chance that he would survive.

Whilst in hospital the Deputy Prime Minister Dominc Raab fulfilled Johnson’s duties, which is a normal process whilst prime ministers are incapacitated.

Dominic Raab, who was serving in his first stint as deputy prime minister, carried out Mr Johnson’s functions while he was incapacitated.

According to the Metro, the last time a prime minister died in office was in 1865. The Lord Palmerston ‘passed from a chill’ with his successor being a party nobleman installed by Queen Victoria,


13:49 (December 3) – Matt Hancock, fresh from his reality tv stint in the jungle, is working to rebuild his reputation as he points a finger at former Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

Hancock’s new book serialised in British newspapers on Saturday, December 3 said that he had warned the virus could kill hundreds of thousands of people if it went unchecked. He claims he told ministers some two months before lockdown of the dangers the virus presented but he says they “did not really believe it.”

Hancock said that Professor Sir Chris Whitty, the UK’s Chief Medical Officer, had warned him in the January of 2020 that in a “reasonable worst-case scenario” as many 820,000 could die.

The book “the Inside story of Britain’s battle against Covid-19” points to his being ignored by ministers who simply shrugged their shoulders.

Pointing to specific dates and meetings, Hancock said Sir Whitty had warned there was a 50:50 chance the virus would reach Britain.  He said: “The whole room froze.

“We are looking at a human catastrophe on a scale not seen here for a century.”

Sharing the warning with a BREXIT day meeting of the Cabinet on January 31, he said the news was largely met with indifference.

Putting paid to Johnson’s claim of having saved lives and leading the world in dealing with the virus Hancock suggests Johnson had been reluctant to engage on the issue.

Johnson, in response to the outbreak in China, is quoted as saying: “You keep an eye on it. It will probably go away.”

Likewise, when he warned that it might still be possible to contain the virus if the country moved quickly, Johnson is quoted as replying: “Bash on.”

He also defended his position on releasing care home residents from hospital, which was ruled as unlawful in a later High Court trial, he said: “The tragic but honest truth is we don’t have enough testing capacity to check anyway. It’s an utter nightmare, but it’s the reality.”

More than 200,000 people died during the pandemic and billions was spent in trying to contain it. Hancock is trying to rebuild his reputation following some fatal errors that haven’t gone down well with the electorate or the party, but whether the latest allegations as he points a finger at Johnson will help remains to be seen.


Thank you for taking the time to read this article, do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.

Peter McLaren-Kennedy

Originally from South Africa, Peter is based on the Costa Blanca and is a web reporter for the Euro Weekly News covering international and Spanish national news. Got a news story you want to share? Then get in touch at editorial@euroweeklynews.com.



Show comments

View Comments

  • NO UK Government MPs and their associates received any genuine vaccine injections the cover was blown and a saline water based solution was injected. It was all fake just as many French MPs and others also were found NOT to have taken the real vaccines.

Recent Posts

  • Celebrity News

John Lydon and PiL fail in their attempt to represent Ireland at Eurovision 2023

Former Sex Pistols frontman John 'Johnny Rotten' Lydon failed to win a place representing Ireland…

5 hours ago
  • Ukraine crisis

Germany approves the transfer of Leopard 1 tanks to Ukraine

Cabinet spokesman Steffen Hebeshtreit announced that Ukraine will receive a supply of Leopard 1 tanks…

5 hours ago
  • Chelsea

Enzo Fernandez makes Chelsea debut in drab goalless draw with Fulham

Chelsea and Fulham played out a goalless draw at Stamford Bridge with Enzo Fernandez making…

6 hours ago
  • F1

American car giant Ford announces its return to F1 racing

Ford announced that it will return to the world of F1 racing in 2026.  …

8 hours ago
  • Spain

Average fuel prices in Spain keep increasing

The latest data show that the average fuel prices in Spain are still on the…

8 hours ago
  • Spain

Average price of electricity in Spain drops substantially on Saturday, February 4

On Saturday, February 4, the average price of electricity in Spain drops by 11.69 per…

10 hours ago