How many lanes of a road can DGT radar devices monitor at any one time?

Image of a speed camera in Spain.

Image of a speed camera in Spain. Credit: Pablo Prat/

ALTHOUGH there are some radar devices that are unable to capture speeding in both directions, the majority of those used in Spain are capable of doing so, and even at a fairly long distance.

According to AEA data, a total of 3,704,675 fines for speeding were filed in Spain in 2022. This figure reportedly represents two thirds of the total traffic fines handed out.

Of these infractions, 70 per cent of them were captured by fixed radars. Mobile radars, such as those operated by Guardia Civil officers, accounted for the remaining 30 per cent.

As a result the Directorate-General for Traffic (DGT) has increased the number of permanent cameras on the Spanish road system in recent years.

How many fixed radars are located on Spanish roads?

There are approximately 780 fixed radars spread throughout Spanish territory, and within them there are various types, and even some that do not measure speed, according to

On many occasions, drivers are probably overconfident in presuming that these devices can only detect violations on a single lane of the road.

However, the reality is completely different, thanks to some new acquisitions by the DGT that control practically the entire width of any road.

What are multistatic radars?

There are still some older radars that only detect movement in one lane, but the vast majority of devices deployed on Spanish roads are capable of monitoring traffic in both directions. Some are even capable of covering several lanes at the same time in each direction.

They are known as ‘multistatic’ radars, and are a real headache for anybody who feels they can drive at excessive speed. These radars are capable of controlling up to six lanes of the same road and have a small margin of error.

A multistatic radar system contains multiple spatially diverse monostatic radar or bistatic radar components with a shared area of coverage.

Of course, the DGT usually has cinemometers of this type installed that only fine in three lanes of the same direction, However, they can be positioned on both sides of the road in order to capture infractions committed in both directions.

Not only have these new types of devices been incorporated on Spanish roads in recent years, but many of the older ones have also been upgraded.

Gantry radars, which are usually placed behind light and information panels above the roads previously only managed to monitor one lane, but they are now capable of measuring two or even three lanes at the same time.

What are velolaser radars?

The DGT has not updated its fleet of fixed radars, but has also incorporated mobile devices that are practically undetectable.

These are the velolaser radars, which can control two lanes of traffic travelling in each direction of the road, and can measure speeds of up to 250 km/h.

They are believed to be capable of catching any vehicle that exceeds the speed limit at a distance of up to 50 metres after the driver passed it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this article. Do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.

Written by

Chris King

Originally from Wales, Chris spent years on the Costa del Sol before moving to the Algarve where he is a web reporter for The Euro Weekly News covering international and Spanish national news. Got a news story you want to share? Then get in touch at


    • Jessica

      02 November 2023 • 15:52

      Too many

    • Clive

      03 November 2023 • 13:24

      Be good.snd they will not bother you

    • Sie

      05 November 2023 • 16:52

      Money making from motorists as there are millions of us. chances are then millions of fines will be handed out. Can’t wait till I STOP driving……….

      • Esteve

        07 November 2023 • 13:17

        Millions of fines handed out? Only to people breaking the law!
        And you can stop driving when ever you want…

    Comments are closed.