By Jennifer Popplewell •
Published: 24 Jan 2024 • 19:19
Demands for safer travel
Credit: UGT Union
On the morning of Friday, January 19, Almeria worker unions UGT and CCOO gathered at the doors of the Union Building.
The meeting was due to a worker, a girl, aged 21, who had died in an accident whilst travelling to work.
The fatal incident occurred just a few days prior to this on the highway that connects Lorca (Murcia) and Pulpi (Almeria). A truck that was transporting plastic overturned on a bus and resulted in the death of the young woman and left 13 more injured who were returning after finishing their working day in a fruit and vegetable company in Pulpi.
The unions are demanding a more safer way of transport, as already three deaths have been recorded in Andalusia during the working hours in 2024.
Both forces are urging that 96 per cent of the transportation of goods in Spain is carried out by road, while the remaining 4 per cent is sent by rail, although the latter is known to be much safer. The unions are demanding immediate action to change these policies and transports.
Thank you for taking the time to read this article. Do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don't already have one. Review our
Jennifer is a proud northerner from Sheffield, England, who is currently living in Spain. She loves swimming in rivers, talking to the stars and eating luxurious chocolate.
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.