Rules and regulations that could affect your life in Spain

Mijas Town hall is one of many enforcing byelaws

TOWN HALLS are further implementing means of raising money in the ongoing tough economic climate throughout Spain.

Some authorities in the Costa del Sol, according to various newspaper reports, are even introducing new laws and regulations to boost the coffers.

And some laws previously ignored are also now being more strenuously enforced, according to some local residents.

Mijas Town Hall now demands that all homes over 25 years old are inspected by architects with any defects corrected.

The cost of the reports, licences for any work deemed to be carried out, and the work, is the responsibility of the property owners.

In addition plots land considered untidy through litter or debris must be cleaned up, otherwise municipal workers will be called in to clear the site with the site owner then charged for the work, with sources indicating clearance charges of up to €3,000.

The authorities in Mijas are also getting tougher against noise from bars and restaurants after 3pm on Sundays.

In the past bar and restaurant owners have complained about delays in being granted opening licences and of bureaucracy in general which often lead to fines and more delays, according to local reports.

Tough action planned against noise now planned is therefore expected to be a further thorn in the side of local businesses, especially as the white pueblo of Mijas is a year-round tourist attraction!

Other town halls on the Costa del Sol, including in Torrox and Velez- Malaga, are getting tough against dog owners who fail to clean up should their pets foul pavements. Rules about when rubbish can be put into the containers is also being more stringently enforced.

Meanwhile in Nerja, also on the Costa del Sol, town hall authorities are enforcing boat owners to keep moorings and berths tidy. And locally beach café owners are being made to take responsibility for assisting with keeping their surrounds clean.

Motorists throughout Spain are also increasingly finding the arm of the law is stretching out, according to reports, with more vigilance from Trafico – often through random checks – leading to road users being fined, media reports confirm.

At present random seat-belt spot checks are being carried out to ensure drivers and passengers are wearing them, and that children are using the correct safety seats. Offenders are being fined.

Dogs must also be securely restrained in cars, and any large objects in vehicles must also be tied down for safety, according to police sources.

Traffic regulations also state that motorists must not be distracted while driving and interpretation of this law by many officials means not only not using mobile phones, but additionally not eating, nor closely studying the GPS navigation system.

The General Traffic department (DGT) has also now ruled that any British licence holders driving in Spain for longer than three months should change their UK licence for a Spanish one.

This can be obtained after a medical certificate has been issued from the Central Register of Drivers.

Regulations can be checked on the DGT website or the Official Bulletin, BOE, published monthly.

Certain facts provided in an earlier story may have mislead some readers on the above topics. We apologise for any incorrect information inadvertently provided.

FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppTelegramLinkedInEmailCopy Link
Go Back
Written by

Euro Weekly News Media

Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page


    • Fiona

      12 March 2013 • 18:25

      why do you have to change your driving licence. The picture one in Britain is an EU driving licence therefore how can they enforce you have to change it? And why British? The EU covers a lot more than britain. Why not target no ITV’s or no insurance vehicles.

    • William Wise

      13 March 2013 • 16:41

      Its time the British National Press publicised these measures. I feel sure that a lot of would be property buyers would be put off. If I could sell my property I would be off like a shot and leave them to it. It is getting far to expensive to live in Spain.

    • Sean

      25 July 2014 • 09:22

      There is an alternative to exchanging your uk licence for a Spanish one. Go to trafico and request an “inscripcion” which means that for a small fee and providing copies of residency, passport etc. your photocard will be sent to Madrid to have your NIE inscribed on the back of it.


    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *