By Euro Weekly News Media • 20 June 2015 • 5:00
ANTIBIOTICS have been found to be just as effective in treating appendicitis as removing the appendix. It means that routine appendectomies, a common surgical procedure, could become a thing of the past.The operation is carried out when the appendix becomes inflamed and infected. If untreated, it can be fatal. But now, doctors are calling for operations as a first course of treatment to be scrapped after a study found that antibiotics worked just as well.The results of the trial found the majority of patients who were treated with antibiotics did not then require surgery. The study involved 530 patients with appendicitis being divided into two groups. Half received an appendectomy, with all but one recovering successfully. The other half were instead given antibiotics for ten days, after which 73 per cent recovered fully while the remaining 27 per cent then had their appendix removed.The researchers said that of these patients who later went on to have the surgery, there was no complications or adverse effects for having the surgery delayed due to the antibiotics.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Downlaod our media pack in either English or Spanish.