By Euro Weekly News Media • 10 October 2018 • 15:19
Andy Harding's recipe for the perfect Indian Breaded Chicken with a Dhansak Curry Sauce
Photo Credit: Andy Harding
TWO Indian recipes this week; there are plenty of good quality curry and Garam Masala powders and curry pastes available in supermarkets and Asian grocers.
Indian Breaded Chicken with a Dhansak Curry Sauce
2 teaspoons poppy seeds
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
2 eggs beaten
250 ml breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons cooking oil
2 large chicken breast halves without skin and each one then halved
For the Sauce
2 tablespoons cooking oil, sunflower is ideal
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
6 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon curry powder or paste
1 large can of peeled tomatoes
1 piece ginger root (optional), grated
1 or more red or green chillis (optional), seeded and chopped
2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled
1 jar lentils, drained
1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
juice of one lemon
2 teaspoons garam masala
1. Place spices in a shallow bowl and mix together, beat the eggs in a second shallow bowl and place breadcrumbs in a third.
2. Pour oil into an oven-proof dish/tin and pre-heat oven to 200 Celsius (fan) 220 Celsius (conventional).
3. Dredge the chicken in the spice mix to coat fully, then dredge in the beaten egg, tip any remaining spice mix into the dish containing the breadcrumbs and coat the chicken with the breadcrumb mix.
4. Coat the crumbed chicken in the oil and place in the oven and cook for about 20-30 minutes depending upon the size of the breast portions. Ensure they are cooked through by tapping with a spoon until a resonant sound is obtained.
5. While they are cooking make the sauce.
6. Fry the onion and garlic until transparent and add the curry powder/paste until aroma released continually stirring.
7. Add the tomatoes, stock cubes, ginger and chillis and continue to stir until simmering.
8. Drain the lentils, place in a sieve and rinse under cold running water until the water is clear and then add to the sauce.
9. Add the cilantro, lemon juice and Garam Masala, give one final stir
10. Place the breaded chicken on plates with the sauce either poured over the chicken or to one side.
Easy Indian Onion ‘Fried’ Rice
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons cooking oil
350 ml long-grain white rice, rinsed and drained
700 ml water
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1. Put all the ingredients in a microwaveable container.
2. Thoroughly stir and seal as well as possible.
3. Place in a microwave oven and cook on full power for 12 minutes.
4. Remove from microwave and let it stand for about 3 minutes.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Downlaod our media pack in either English or Spanish.